Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Book Review (of sorts) Part 1 - Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska's Political Establishment on Its Ear


As I said in a previous post I can relate to Sarah Palin in so many ways. One of those ways is her faith in God. I am currently reading "Sarah: How a Hockey Mom Turned Alaska's Political Establishment on Its Ear," by Kaylene Johnson. It’s not a long book but it is a revealing book. It reveals what makes Sarah Palin who she is and from what I have read and seen from her on the stump, her faith in God is the biggest building block in her character. This post is not a chapter by chapter review of that book, it is more of what stood out to me. I suggest you get this book and read it for yourself and make your own conclusions.

In chapter two of this book author Kaylene Johnson recounts a time in Sarah’s life where she came to realization that God was speaking directly to her. Here is an excerpt of that part. "Over time, however, she began to notice that the words being spoken from the pulpit seemed directed not just to the general congregation but specifically to her. She found, too, that the music lifted her spirits in a way that nothing else did. And she discovered that when she prayed, she felt the presence of something far greater than herself." I think so many of us feel that draw or call from God into a relationship with Him and relate to Sarah’s religious foundation found only in Christ. Some of us find that at an early age and some later in life. Regardless of when it happens, it is something at the core of our very being. Johnson stated Palin held fast to the verse from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18; Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. In my opinion that is such a great verse to hold onto.

Palin also experienced a great deal of growth in her life from her involvement in High School sports. In her senior year of High School her basketball team made it to the state finals. Sarah had suffered an ankle injury just before the state tournament. Sarah playing hurt in the championship game scored the final points. I particularly liked what her coach said also in chapter two about that win. Here is an excerpt of that part. “Coach Teeguarden said that the girls showed what they were made of in that tournament. Sarah, like other players, believes basketball taught her what she needed to know about life. Teeguarden sees it differently. "Basketball doesn't create a person, it reveals who you are," he said. "Sports, like anything we do that requires effort, provide an opportunity for growth. You find out things about yourself and sometimes you find out that you have to make adjustments to become more productive and content.” What a true statement. I wrestled in High School and learned the same thing in my experience.

In chapter 5 after Sarah lost her bid for Lieutenant Governor, Sarah showed her beliefs and faith in my opinion by taking the loss in stride and saying “all things happen for a reason, and that there was a greater plan at work”. I feel this loss to Obama/Biden was for a reason as well. I think that reason is 2012 and is in part why I set up this blog site.

I’ll finish reading the book tonight and write more on my impressions. At this point all I can say is the more I learn about Governor Palin (from this book) the more I like her as a person and a public servant.

Randy Highsmith

Oh Don't forget to sign the Run Sara Run Petition if you haven't done so already.

3 comments:

justgran said...

I read the easy-read book and loved it. Sarah is so real! Sarah is so good! The GOP is not finished with Sarah Palin in its search for national leadership. Pawlenty and Perry, however, can stay home after their ill-advised treatment of her at the Governor's conference.

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired of this "entitlement" mentality and the so-callled feminist movement that wants me to act like anything BUT a woman. Funny how the root word is feminine! This is great. It's positive. It's not rooted in jealousy and envy....unfortunately, so many woman feel that's the only way to boost themselves up. I appreciate a book that discusses the use of hard work and core values (huh...imagine that!). Good easy read.

blank dvd

Sara Reid said...

Generally, i love to read love story. I haven’t read this book so for me it is a brand new experience but for my fellow friends they got it very interesting. Cover page is also looking impressive. I think i should read "SARAH". Thanks for posting the blog!

micro sd